- Couple beat their children with brooms, hoovers and wires, claiming they were possessed by evil spirits
- They gave their baby morphine overdose after her first birthday
- ‘I am beaten without mercy’, said an SOS note written by one of the children
- Parents alleged Miss Collins wanted to ‘steal’ their children
- ‘We are innocent, this is a miscarriage of justice’, screamed the couple as they left court…
Yes, it hurts me personally and in every humane way possible when abused children are not believed when they finally find the courage to speak out. It also hurts me to no end that in the part of the continent I come from, people define ‘child abuse’ in a different way and conveniently brush it aside by calling it discipline!
It is indeed sad that some Nigerians consider this case as ‘culture clash’ and even racial discrimination!
To many Nigerians, it is considered normal for pastors to accuse children of witchcraft and slap them in churches. It is considered OK for prophets to take children to beach sides and beat them mercilessly while their parents shout “Hallelujah”, under the ‘acceptable disguise’ of casting out evil spirits from the children.
No, these are not rare occurrences, as I wrote in a previous post, these things happen almost every minute of the day, just visit Lagos Bar Beach!
Parents beat their children with brooms, cut them with sharp objects and inflict all sorts of injuries on their children and wards, all in the name of discipline and these are normally the same parents who steal in their workplaces and brag about their 419 activities in front of their children [Read more…]