One of my favorite parts of a project is the final assembly. It’s so gratifying when all the pieces come together and you see your vision, radiant and complete.
In this case, I somehow forgot that I needed to fit the wrap-ferrule to the front of the handle. I had everything all nicely covered in epoxy and … it wouldn’t go on. The temptation to grab a hammer and make it fit was extreme, but I know that sometimes you can crack silver or pop a braze that way. So I wiped everything down again and took it back to the shop. This is a significant mistake because having epoxy on the wood affects how the finish will be absorbed – you can’t use an oil finish anymore, you have to go with some kind of polyurethane. These little details are what separates a piece that looks good 6 years later from one that looks like garbage in a year.
The wok has to make one more trip to the shop. I noticed that (even before I put that big handle on it) it wants to fall toward the handle if it’s placed on a flat surface. What I think I am going to do is make a few small weld beads with the MIG, down near the bottom of the pan, so it’ll stand upright and won’t slide in the ring.
I’m happy with how this turned out. I’ve got another wingnut left; trying to decide if I should auction off another pimped out wok, or just drill a hole in the wingnut and auction that. Right now, I believe FTB management is setting up an independent donation-well, and I’ll hold off on more auctions until that is done.