I’m out in LA for a wedding and needed an appropriate present for the bride. So: 12″ acrylic lamp globe, $29 on ebay, 1/4″ ABS plastic cut plug, 1/4″ ABS plastic base piece, water, cosmetic mica, acrylic glue.
It was much easier to mail it out empty than to try to take a 20 pound ball of weird liquid on an airplane. So I assembled it in my friends’ kitchen. Memo to self: make fill-hole larger so you don’t wear your hands out with the hypodermic.
I put a little detergent in the water so that the mica would not stick to the acrylic, then sucked and injected it into the globe. It had to sit a few hours for most of the air to percolate out of the water, then I used the acrylic glue to make a ring of sealant, and put the base on.
The hardest part of this project was fitting the inner plug into the neck of the globe – I had to cut it with a reciprocating saw then sand it to fit on my belt sander. That took about 5 minutes.