This resin stuff is great for messing around. What follows are a few things that went well, some that didn’t go that wll and some that are still work in progress.
First of all, the globes
On the left you have a light globe with a small string of embedded fairy lights. Although the blue resin all rose to the top, I quite like it. This one’s so big that it released a lot of heat while curing. On the right there is the next attempt at a snowglobe. I like the results a lot. Glueing the ornaments to the wood and then inserting them was a good idea. I still hate the moulds. They are way too thin and easily separate. More on that later.
That was the rest of the resin Marcus sent, btw.
Next are the colourful leaves
I applied some gold leaf to some and then covered them in resin. I did that several times and let it harden in between. I need to trim the sides and drill a hole, but I really like how they turned out.
And the galaxy pendants, 1st try:
I really want to make pendants that look like a “galaxy”, but I didn’t have the right white colour. While it has a nice milky way effect, it separated and got stuck to the moulds. They’re still pretty.
Galaxy pendants, 2nd try:
This time I used acrylic paint, and it worked better, though I’m still not entirely happy. I think I need to tint the black less and add more clear blue.
Next: Fun with colours:
Those are mainly the leftovers from the galaxy pendants. I just kept pouring small amounts of resin into the mould, alternating the colours. Those are great fun.
And now to no fun:
Since the resin Marcus sent is gone, I needed to look for a replacement. There’s one that I found that’s a German product that has great reviews from German crafters says “for castings of up to 1 cm”. Now, that’s more than enough for jewelery, but the globes are a different matter, so I decided to give it a try with the two smallest moulds. The good thing: It cured perfectly. the bad: the moulds. I tried to seal the sides with play dough, which worked reasonably well for the larger one. For both of them, the opening is too small to actually fill in the resin without using a pipette or a syringe. The small one actually cannot even be filled that way because then the air can’t leave and the mould splits open. After 15 minutes I kind of gave up since my resin was starting to cure anyway. I’ll have to enlarge those if I actually want to use the moulds. that the berries all rose to the top was just the icing on the cake. Next time I’ll have to cast them in two sessions.
Speaking of 2 sessions…
These are my second attempt at gold and blue fern leaves. I still haven’t figured out how to really attach the fucking gold to the leaves, but I also like this result. The first time my leaves sunk into the blue resin, so this time I first poured a thin layer of clear resin, added the leaves, let it cure and then I cast the blue. I do love them.
Another idea that still needs som tinkering is wood pendants:
Those are slices of birch cut into pieces. My “moulds” are laminating foil. In my first attempt I’d hoped that the weight would keep the foil down, but as you can see, the resin ran out. The attempt you can see here is with play dough, but that also only kind of worked. Next time I’ll close the bottom with tape. There’s enough wood lying around. These will need grinding and polishing. Jipiehh!
And last but not least: What to do with leftover resin:
Sorry, not the best pic