Hello there. I know, I’ve been very absent recently. Work was pretty demanding, the Damokles’ Sword of not knowing whether my contract will be renewed hanging over my head* and life being busy as usual.
Last weekend we first had #1’s “culture workshop”, which is an evening when all the groups in her school can present their projects, including her class. It was an amazing evening and the kids are really damn talented, from the chubby boy with the glasses doing a kick ass rap presentation to the Syrian girls reciting poetry about their home town Aleppo.
The next day was the little one’s school festival, which usually means the very same people working a lot. It#s the same everywhere. My colleague was totally stressed out because she was organising things for her kid’s festival the same weekend. Or as Pratchett noted: if you want to get something done, give it to somebody who is already busy.
And the works in the garden have finally begun. There’s nothing like coming home with a migraine and having people use heavy machinery around the house.
As a result, we used this long weekend (holiday on Thursday, “bridge day” on Friday) to lick our wounds and recover and spend some very quiet time together, going for walks etc.
But I also got some resin art done over the weeks, especially after Marcus’ latest parcel.
Some of this will be up for sale/auction for the FtB legal defence fund, so if you set your eye on something, just let me know.
*I’m pretty positive that I won’t be unemployed come next term, but that’s not the same as knowing and I’ve noticed that it has been slowly wearing me down.
First of all, this is what the garden looks like now:
In tearing down the old stuff they found tons of unreasonable concrete which they have to get our somehow.
First project: tealight holder:
These look very complicated but are actually dead easy and I’d say the perfect project if you want to do something with resin but not invest a lot of money in moulds and stuff: Just pour your resin onto wax paper, let cure for about 12 hours, fold over a glass, fix with a rubber and cure completely.
The fish are printed again, though I bought the sheet this time.
Next projects are under the fold:
Diamonds are a girl’s best friend? Hah! I made the moulds for the small ones myself, but Marcus sent me the large one. In the end, all moulds need some opening where you can pour the resin. Mine’s in the back where you’d have the little pointy tip, which makes the top perfectly smooth and shiny, while the large one is open at the top. This makes for a nice tip, but you also get a ridge at the top, so I think mine wins. the blue one got some extra sparkle from embedding broken glass.
There are amazing people who can actually paint these three dimensional fish, but I ain’t one of them.
I have to rely on layered stickers, but nevertheless I’m quite pleased with the results. Not so much with the pics.
You could probably still eat from them, but that would be a waste. I think they#ll make wonderful table decoration with swimming candles.
Next is the sky trio. From a galaxy far away to the birds in the sky:
This one really has depth, though I should have polished my fingerprints off before taking pics.
And finally the soaring birds. You probably remember the piece from the last time, this it what it became and I’m very pleased.
Last project for this post is a bit older. In voyager’s box of wonders there was a bone disc that made me think a lot. I think I found an appropriate use:
Stay tuned for lots of fun tomorrow