Monopoly is the worst game ever, bar none. It’s only fun playing against a computer because you can’t humiliate a computer, and you can rage quit without guilt or embarrassment.
Hasbro “thinks” they are making a social statement by creating a version of the game which gives more money to women and girl players both at the start and each time they pass go. From the USA Today link:
Instead of investing in real estate properties like the classic game, players invest in inventions and innovations made by women, including chocolate chip cookies, bulletproof vests, solar heating and ladies’ modern shapewear.
“We made sure that this felt authentic and was a fun game families could play and learn about these things that they love and are a part of their life that they didn’t know were invented by women,” Boswinkel said.
As I’ve seen asked by others elsewhere, Why is the game still packaged with only white faces? Why does it not address privilege, redlining, systematic racism?
I want to see other rule changes. Rules for white players:
- They start with $1200 and get $100 for passing go
- They must rent-to-own properties (paying 20% of the value for 20 turns)
- They are only allowed to buy violet, light blue, purple and orange properties, no railroads
- Players sent to jail forfeit their most expensive property which is auctioned off
- Mortgages cost twice the price listed on the card
- They may not own sets, even if they own all properties (thus no houses or hotels)
- Two doubles in a row, and you go to jail
Rules for Black players and People of Colour players:
- Owed rent can be paid up to five turns late
- Properties can be purchased with interest-free loans, no fixed payment period
- There is no “Luxury Tax”
You could create other similar rules. Then make people play in a mixed group.