John McCain was once held up as a moderate, and by moderate we mean not a pasty racist anti-science gay hatin idiot held together by big government sutures and staples. A man who knows the horror of war down in his gut and on the ground, who would never start one for political brownie-shirt points, a steely eyed manly man’s man who shoots straight as an arrow while still being sensitive to the plight of those lacking a Y-chromie and/or who choose to date in unseemly, unstraight-ly ways.
The incredibly straight shooting Mr. McCain might have been believable, right up until he self-impaled himself on a stake at the bottom of the cognitive abyss awaiting all future conservative leaders by nominating Sarah Palin. The foreign policy guru whose credentials for office include not knowing why Korea was split into two countries at the 38th parallel. She was the best and the brightest, in all the free-land, to stand one myocardially infarcted heart-beat away from guarding ‘Murika with her gnarled trigger finger poised delicately above the red button. Let the tricolored eagle soar and the ICBMs fly, yo!
The not-so-good Senator from the Great State of Arizona, first to demand papers from anyone harboring a fantasy of being American-while-brown, is more convinced than ever by the lack of evidence that there’s a massive Benghazi conspiracy. Prompting blogger Betty Cracker to muse on the this faux rock-solid, utterly disjointed abomination of logic:
1. The Benghazi affair is more politically consequential than Watergate, Whitewater, Iran-Contra, Chappaquiddick, the Keating Five and the Teapot Dome scandals all rolled into one, and Romney totally would have won the election if it had been covered properly.
2. President Obama must’ve ignored warnings infinitely clearer than the 8/6/01 Presidential Daily Briefing entitled “Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US,” which was obviously not worth investigating after 3K civilians were killed on Bush the Lesser’s watch.
3. The only way Obama could cover his ass in the Benghazi affair was to orchestrate a scandal to compromise the country’s most prominent general, and he fiendishly used a wingnut FBI agent’s obsession with a seemingly flaky Tampa socialite to kick off an investigation that would lead down paths those two pawns could not foresee.
4. Obama further used Jedi mind-tricks to silence noted political opportunist Eric Cantor after Cantor was briefed on the scandal before the election, thanks to the aforementioned wingnut FBI agent.
5. Petraeus is either, A) such a dummy that he was willing to lie to Congress on 9/13 to buy a short reprieve from the announcement of the scandal, which he knows will then engulf him and destroy his career, or B) such a dupe that he will keep lying about Benghazi even after Obama has betrayed him and destroyed his career.
You would think the crew that managed this great land while three jumbo jets slammed into buildings would understand that there’s only so much one can do to detour suicidal relgious fanatics that devoutly believe a magic invisible sky wizard will hug them tightly to its merciful bosom for blowing innocent men, women, and children to charred bloody bits. And they did, when it was their turn at the helm. Now not so much.