Hey, everyone! It’s Saturday night, during a pandemic, and I home alone with a cat that hates me, so it’s a perfect time for a pity party. I walked out to the liquor store and got some cheap whisky, and I’ve already downed a couple of shots, so you better get to work to catch up. I have many things to be miserable about, and I wanted to get a head start.
- I’ve already mentioned my monster load of grading. I don’t need advice, I know it’s my fault — but I also feel an obligation to cram in a lot of stuff the hard way because this zoom teaching is not my bag at all. I’m clearly overcompensating and suffering for it.
- Speaking of which, this has just been an agonizing year. All the compromises I’ve had to make are driving me crazy, and all the good stuff about teaching have been lost. I hardly know my students — they’re names on a roster. Getting any kind of interaction with them is a struggle. I did not sign up for this career to be a voice on a computer talking to an array of black rectangles.
- I’ve been regretting more than a few choices. Forty years ago my dad suggested I go into refrigerator repair, and even lined up an apprenticeship for me. Sometimes now (especially now) I fantasize about a 9-to-5 union job with good pay and paid vacations…I wonder what that would be like?
- I used to enjoy getting out to events and talking with other people about science, or the folly of religious dogma, or the importance of social justice. I was traveling roughly every two weeks to meetings, and then, abruptly, that all dried up about 8 years ago. Sheesh, you expose just one high muckity-muck skeptic rapist, and your phone stops ringing. It was impressive how quickly and thoroughly the blacklist was implemented.
- The fun was only beginning. I learned gradually that the movement I’d spent years promoting was infested with patriarchal asshats and harassers. I get so much hate mail now! It turns out many of the rank-and-file of atheism sound like refugees from 4chan. Or whatever that hellhole is called now.
- Some of you regular readers got a taste of what my in-box looks like — we had a troll come by and leave a series of obscene comments talking about how I enjoyed fellating transsexual individuals, among other such crudities. Don’t bother looking for them, I delete them as fast as I find them, but here’s a taste of one of his milder comments:
Myers is a bitch. And she was bitchslapped long time ago by almost everyone in the atheist community and made a pariah [he’s right, you know–pzm]. Thoroughly deserved given the damage that C*unt did.
Once upon a time I thought atheists would be more rational than theists. Boy was I wrong!
- But, you say, that’s just some bottom-of-the-barrel nobody — a loud-mouthed twit who has never contributed anything positive — so who cares? But then tonight I also got email from a more senior member of the atheist community, with a high position in a regional organizer. She’s been pestering me for years, and now she was writing to me to get my support (why, I have no idea — I have zero influence) in a crusade against American Atheists. This is what some high-ranking atheists sound like.
Have you see this?
Access the article by clicking on the address way below.
Notice that the tranny within AA, Alison Gill,
is coming down hard on Dawkins.
Dawkins is not perfect but I’ll take him any day over Alison Gill.
Dawkins’ main problem is that he doesn’t speak “American.”
I think he means well but he doesn’t come across very well
to Americans. But he is basically correct.
Rumor is that the Humanist organization
has also been taken over by LGBTQ people.
I wrote back to tell her to stop sending me her poisonous crap. Like my usual trolls, she didn’t stop.
PZ, This is not hateful and this is not poisonous.
You know me better than that.
These people (LGBTQ) have taken over AA and
the Humanist organizations.
“Tranny” is a well-known nickname for transgender people,
which is a mouthful to type. It is not meant negatively.
Dawkins is correct. The right wing fundamentalists
are using the “transgender issue”as a Trojan horse to get at us.
We need to separate the transgender issue from atheism.
We are science oriented.
You do not become a woman by amputating your male genitals.
But if they want to do that, they are free to do so in America
but don’t connect it with atheism.
THAT IS ALL WE ASK.
Depressing, isn’t it? I don’t want to be associated with these people any more. And she doesn’t know me at all.
- I’ve got lots of legal debt that’s going to drain all of my disposable income for the next few years. Yeah, that’s the happy ending to my atheist career.
- I’m running out of whisky.
Fuck it, party is over.