A horrifying news story from this week in Taiwan is a seven year old boy lying comatose in hospital with an intercranial hematoma. He will likely die once taken off life support.
The little boy was in a judo school, and the bully of a “coach” knocked him down repeatedly and forced the boy to get up, even after the boy said his head and body hurt.
What galls me the most is that the cowardly “father” stood there, watching.
Taichung, April 24 (CNA) A judo coach in Taichung was questioned a second time by prosecutors Saturday over his alleged negligence, following an incident in which one of his students fell into a coma and was rushed to hospital after been repeatedly thrown to the ground during practice earlier in the week.
The incident occurred on Wednesday, when a seven-year old boy identified by his last name Huang (黃) began a second week of judo classes at a local dojo in Fengyuan District.
A student at Nanyang Elementary School, Huang was allegedly thrown to the ground more than 20 times by his coach surnamed Ho (何) and an older student who took turns to “demonstrate” a judo throw during the lesson.
Speaking at a press event, the boy’s father told reporters that after his son was thrown to the ground a couple of times, Ho ordered him to stand up and be thrown again, despite his son begging him to stop because his feet and head hurt.
The father said when his son failed to get up, the coach dragged him to his feet and threw him another seven times until he became completely unresponsive.
According to the Taichung District Prosecutors Office, Ho insisted the throw was just part of normal training.
There is nothing “normal” about a 80-90 kg adult beating on a 15-20 kg child. Having experienced that sort of violence myself at home, you don’t just “walk it off”.
This story is hideously reminiscent of the 2012 story that permanently put me off watching football, when coaches, referees and parents stood by and watched their children suffer concussions and other injuries because “the game is important”.
Or they were “afraid of looking overly protective”. You are parents. You’re supposed to protect your kids, not worry if a ten year old displays enough toxic masculinity.
In an alarming case of young athletes being put at risk, five children suffered concussions last month in a Pop Warner football game that resulted in disciplinary action against both coaches and association presidents.
The injured children, all 10 to 12 years old, played for the Tantasqua Pee Wees Sept. 15 when they were overrun, 52-0, by a Southbridge team whose website’s banner states, “Are You Tough Enough.’’
The five children missed various numbers of school days because of their injuries, and one has not returned to the field.
The coaches, Southbridge’s Scott Lazo and Tantasqua’s Erik Iller, were suspended for the remainder of the season and placed on probation through the 2013 season after a lengthy hearing Thursday conducted by Central Mass. Pop Warner.
The association presidents, Lazo’s brother, Doug Lazo of Southbridge, and Iller’s wife, Jen Iller of Tantasqua, also were placed on probation through the 2013 season because they attended the game and failed to take action, according to the hearing committee.
In addition, the three officials who worked the game have been permanently banned by Central Mass. Pop Warner.
“Having multiple concussions in one game is something that should never happen, ever,’’ said Patrick Inderwish, president of Central Mass. Pop Warner. “One concussion is too many.’’