Quantcast

Monthly Archive: October 2010

Oct 21 2010

Purdue to host intercollegiate Quidditch tournament

Why do all the awesome things happen after graduation?! Purdue University is hosting an intercollegiate Quidditch tournament from 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday (Oct. 24), just days before the world debut of the final Harry Potter film, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.” The Hogwarts-looking Windsor Halls will serve as the backdrop as caped …

Continue reading »

Oct 20 2010

First they stop worshipping Zeus, now this?!

There’s a new blog for Greek atheists called Atheia – available in Greek and English. Good to know some of my cousins are coming to the dark side. Oxi theos kala! …Yes, I know that’s not grammatically correct at all. That’s probably 5% of my Greek vocabulary. The other 95% is terms for food, or …

Continue reading »

Oct 19 2010

The Onion mentions me in their new video

Watch the news ticker at the bottom, starting at 45 seconds in: Thousands Of Girls Match Description Of Missing Sorority Sister I mean, who else could they be talking about? Seriously though, I love the Onion. I about lost it at “I just kept thinking that could have been me, you know? Was it?”

Oct 18 2010

My More Magazine photoshoot and interview is out!

OMG OMG OMG *flail* *ahem* The November issue of More Magazine is just starting to trickle out. I’m not sure if it’s quite on news stands yet, but I’m going to give you a sneak peek because I’m in it! Wooooo! I wasn’t having the greatest day today, and this is just what I needed …

Continue reading »

Oct 17 2010

Firebrands, Comfrontationalists, Accommodationists, oh my!

These labels have been flung around the atheist blogosphere lately. Jerry Coyne seems to be one of the people most outspoken about “accommodationists,” those that think science and religion can happily get along. Coyne thinks science and religion are inherently incompatible – a view I happen to agree with – and explained it nicely in …

Continue reading »

Oct 15 2010

Have you had trouble commenting?

A bunch of people have told me they have had trouble commenting here lately. I’m going to attempt to fix the problem this weekend. If you’ve had issues commenting, please email me at blaghagblog(at)gmail(dot)com. To help me out, please include: What browser you’re using If you have anything like Adblock enabled How you’re attempting to …

Continue reading »

Oct 14 2010

My landlord is a debate-loving creationist who just realized I'm an evolutionary biologist

Enjoy the schadenfreude, everyone. My landlord just knocked on the door to discuss various landlord-y things, like how he’ll fix one of my broken chairs and how much Comcast sucks. He asked how grad school was going and what sorts of classes I’m taking, and I mentioned how Gene Regulation was really hard. He’s on …

Continue reading »

Oct 14 2010

Scientific illiteracy

Reading scientific papers helps me understand why so many people hate or distrust scientists. Let me clarify briefly. This is not meant to be me bitching about my graduate school workload. This is not me thinking my PhD was going to be a cake walk. I was prepared to finish undergrad feeling like a genius …

Continue reading »

Oct 13 2010

Upcoming speaking events

You may have noticed that my Speaking page has been growing. I thought I’d point out some of my upcoming speaking events, in case you’re in the area: 11/13/2010 – Seattle, WASociety for Sensible Explanation – Boobquake and its Aftershocks 2/05/2011 – San Diego, CASecular Student Alliance Regional Leadership Conference – Topic TBA 3/24/2011 – …

Continue reading »

Oct 13 2010

This is where the magic happens

I’m not feeling particularly blogging inspired (thanks, grad school), so here’s some random photos of my new apartment, now that it’s all set up (click images for larger):How about a game of geeky I Spy? What can you spot, other than the inevitable wire-induced fire hazard beneath my desk?

Older posts «

» Newer posts