Pennsylvania Rep. Mike Kelly (R), an ardent opponent of abortion rights, said that today’s date would live in infamy alongside those two other historic occasions. Wednesday marked the day on which a controversial new requirement by the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires health insurance companies to cover contraceptive services for women, goes into effect.
“I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7th, that’s Pearl Harbor day. The other is September 11th, and that’s the day of the terrorist attack,” Kelly said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. “I want you to remember August the 1st, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom. That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates.”
It makes perfect sense. When I save that $350 a year on my Nuvaring and other feminine checkups, that’s $350 extra dollars I can spend on other religion-destroying activities!
- Flight to Skepticon 5 – $250
- Eating lunch somewhere other than Chick-Fil-A – $10
- New child-corrupting video game – $40
- Buying a new cleavage-showing shirt – $20
- Cover for my favorite gay bar – $10
- Satan juice, aka “alcohol” – $20
- Pissing off the religious right – Priceless
Yeah, I’d say all of that is equivalent to thousands of people dying.