Stephen Prothero, a professor in the Department of Religion at Boston University, lists the six things he does not want to hear in the wake of massacres like last week’s.
- It was God’s will.
- Jesus called the children home.
- After death, there is the resurrection.
- This was God’s judgment. (Are you listening, James Dobson?)
- This happened because America is too secular. (He’s talking to you, Mike Huckabee and Bryan Fischer)
- Guns don’t kill people, people kill people.
He explains why he finds each rationalization offensive.
But unfortunately we will hear all those sentiments over and over again after every tragedy because this is the best that the religious apologists have to deal with the problem of theodicy.