Now I’m assuming everyone reads every post that every FTB author posts every day, so it is perhaps entirely extraneous for me to draw your attention to Jen McCreight’s announcement this morning:
Blogathon is a blogging marathon for charity where I make a new post every 30 minutes for 24 hours, with no pre-writing or autoposting allowed. Just like someone can pledge money to support someone running in a marathon, people can pledge to support a caffeinated, deliriously sleep deprived, and (hopefully) entertaining blogger. Like the last three years, I’m raising money for the Secular Student Alliance. But this year there’s a twist:
I’m not alone.
This year Blogathon will include 18 other bloggers who have pledged to devote their time going just as crazy as I am. From June 9th to June 16th, at least one blogger will spend their day furiously typing away. Instead of me running this blogging marathon on my own, it’s a relay race! We’ll be passing the e-baton, or something. I don’t run, so these analogies are hard. The current schedule is here, including bloggers like Greta Christina, Dale McGowan, JT Eberhard, Ian Cromwell, Natalie Reed, Ed Brayton, and more! I’ll be blogging from 6am PST June 16th to 6am June 17th.
Those are some big names there. Greta Christina? Wow – a person as busy and talented as Greta giving her time to this thing? JT Eberhard – well I guess that’s a bit of a given since he works for the SSA but still, he’s a good ‘get’. And then this Ian Cromwell guy… where have I heard that name before?
Wait, shit. I’m Ian Cromwell.
Yes, that’s right. This year I will be joining a host of other bloggers in support of the Secular Student Alliance Blogathon. However, I’m going to try something a little different. As some of you may know, I am a musician. Also, I crave attention like a smack addict fiending for hir next fix. To satisfy both of these things, and because I think it’s a worthy cause, I will be posting videos of myself playing various pop tunes, like this one:
Here’s the catch: you pick the tunes. Donate at least $10 to the SSA and tell me a song to perform. I will get to as many as I can within 6 hours and post them right here for your viewing and listening pleasure.
There are a few caveats:
- We have two gigs this weekend, which means my voice might not be at 100%
- While it might be hilarious to request something like Bach’s Toccata and Fugue, I am limited by both time and talent. If you pick something that’s just too fucking difficult, I’ll keep your money and not do your request, so pick something doable and learnable in a reasonable period of time.
- The same rule goes for songs that are just not playable on guitar. While I’d love to be able to recreate your favourite Skrillex tune, try to pick something with an actual melodic line and chord structure.
- I can try to be my own drum section, but again I am somewhat limited by technology and talent, so if you request a hip-hop tune, please don’t be too upset if I just can’t do it.
- I will love you forever if your request is for me to do one of my own songs, or just a song I like to play.
Other than that, have at it. I will record my first video when I get up Sunday morning, and I will try to get as many in as possible before the end of the blogging day. You can submit your donations here. If you can’t make a donation for whatever reason, consider donating your Facebook display pic or some other form of flair to show your support.
Let the requests begin!
Like this article? Follow me on Twitter!