THREE HOURS OF JORDAN PETERSON? » « Alex Jones is in bigger trouble now Because I can I really like seeing Kansans happy in a righteous victory. Share this:PrintEmailShare on TumblrTweet THREE HOURS OF JORDAN PETERSON? » « Alex Jones is in bigger trouble now
Ray Ceeya says
I hope this is a swell that turns into a tidal wave we can ride out in November. Fingers crossed.
Basically…the cities voted No, to preserve the status quo ante, while the rest of the state voted Yes, to let the legislature have a free hand with abortion restrictions.
Pretty common pattern, going all the way back to the repeal of Prohibition.
If you want to see what conservatives are capable of when they feel desperate …
Britain: Rishi Sunak goes full fascist in attempt to beat Liz Truss
YES! Kansas finally does something positive!
But, below is NEVER off topic for PZ:
A Utah man has been arrested on accusations he started a wildfire while trying to burn a spider with his lighter.
JUST ANOTHER SADISTIC LDS MORON!
Yay for them!
Yeah, that was me last night.
I’m so used to bad news about the USA (and the world) that it was, “Hey, we won one for once!!!”
consciousness razor says
It’s hardly that simple. With currently 96.7% of votes reported….
No: 534,134 (58.8%)
Yes: 374,611 (41.2%)
From the ten largest counties by population*:
That means 62.8% of the entire 908,745 votes were cast from those ten counties alone, and the other 95 counties in Kansas were only 37.2% of the vote.
What those numbers also mean is that those bigger counties were only 75.5% of the “no” votes, while also being a full 57.8% of the “yes” votes.
Just take a look at some of the smallest counties, all with populations less than 2k (see wiki page here for population numbers):
Greeley: 236 yes, 153 no
Wallace: 435 yes, 89 no
Lane: 364 yes, 243 no
Comanche: 536 yes, 304 no
Hodgeman: 508 yes, 197 no
Clark: 473 yes, 257 no
Together, that’s 2,552 yes (1.2% of the yes vote) and 1,243 no (0.3% of the no vote). They obviously have very little to do with a 908,745 vote outcome (0.4% of it to be exact).
*Conveniently, that’s not an entirely arbitrary dividing line. Counties #11-20 all have populations in the range of 30k to 39k. But going up from there, there is Saline (#10) with 54k, Reno (#9) with 61k, Butler (#8) with 68k, and so on. So it’s convenient that there’s a relatively big gap between #10 and #11.
From Andy Borowitz of The New Yorker:
WMDKitty -- Survivor says
@shermanj — How big was this spider? Depending on the size, killing it with fire may have been a perfectly reasonable response. Still not the best idea during fire season, ofc, but a valid response.
Early in his film career, Clint Eastwood flew a jet fighter-bomber to knock out a very big arachnid so I suppose you need to adjust the weapons to the size of the target.