I’m willing to give Rick Perry credit for one thing: he’s very clear on his objectives as a politician, even if those goals are batshit insane. He’s even published a list of priorities for a Perry presidency. These are actually seven reasons to retire him to some patch of parched desert in Texas and leave him to mummify.
He really hates “activist judges”, that catch-all phrase for judges that make decisions conservatives don’t like. His solution? Bog our congress down in appointment hearings that the Republicans will blindly block.
1. Abolish lifetime tenure for federal judges by amending Article III, Section I of the Constitution.
Also, hey, let’s gut the Supreme Court and give all of its powers to congress! Where precedent can be ignored and the crony capitalists can both make the laws and interpret them!
2. Congress should have the power to override Supreme Court decisions with a two-thirds vote.
Meanwhile, let’s bankrupt the federal government and remove its major source of revenue. We don’t need no central government, after all, just let the states each do it their own way. So why is Perry running for president again?
3. Scrap the federal income tax by repealing the Sixteenth Amendment.
The senate is not elitist enough. Let’s just appoint ’em all — and just think, the starving government can make a little money by selling those appointments to corporate citizens. Senator Monsanto, Senator Boeing, anyone?
4. End the direct election of senators by repealing the Seventeenth Amendment.
In addition to abolishing all income tax revenue (see #3), Perry will require the government to balance its budget every year. $0 in, $0 out. Easy.
5. Require the federal government to balance its budget every year.
It’s not enough that he plans to tear up the established political structure of the entire country, and destroy the federal government…he then wants to turn around and use that gutted national government to compel all the states to obey his medieval social agenda. Consistency isn’t his strong suit, nor is compassion. So, high on his list of priorities we find…slap the gays down.
6. The federal Constitution should define marriage as between one man and one woman in all 50 states.
And after those gays are shut up, let’s get to work on the wimmin. No abortions! Ever!
7. Abortion should be made illegal throughout the country.
And this deranged conservative maniac is being treated as a serious candidate by the media? Madness rules.