Today, February 17th, we should pause and remember that great hero of freethought, Giordano Bruno.
On February 17, 1600 Giordano Bruno was murdered by the Christian Inquisition.
His murderers would protest that he was lawfully executed.
His crimes ( from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giordano_Bruno ) were as follows:
- Holding opinions contrary to the Catholic Faith and speaking against it and its ministers.
- Holding erroneous opinions about the Trinity, about Christ’s divinity and Incarnation.
- Holding erroneous opinions about Christ.
- Holding erroneous opinions about Transubstantiation and Mass.
- Claiming the existence of a plurality of worlds and their eternity.
- Believing in metempsychosis and in the transmigration of the human soul into brutes.
- Dealing in magics and divination.
- Denying the Virginity of Mary.
What he was really murdered for was for saying the Earth moved around the Sun.
He was burned alive at the stake.
Before the fire was lit, his tongue was nailed to the roof of his mouth so he could not utter further blasphemies as he painfully died.
You can learn more about this great hero here:
Many think such things could not happen today.
You don’t really believe in evolution do you?
And you don’t think the Earth goes around the Sun, do you…….?