Are you a member of the Defend Science organization? They’re a group that was founded in 2005 to oppose the wave of anti-scientific garbage coming out of the Bush administration, and suddenly they’ve become even more relevant for 2017. They sent out a mass email to announce their opposition to the Trump presidency.
Dear Defend Science Signatories,
Right after the election we sent out a letter to you all, warning of the danger of a Donald Trump presidency and we included an initial statement “In the Name of Humanity, We REFUSE To Accept a Fascist America”.
Only a couple of weeks later it is even more apparent that there is an incredible danger facing us.
And now there is a very serious effort being initiated now to oppose this:
This is calling for a A MONTH OF RESISTANCE beginning on December 19th,
reaching a crescendo by the January 20th 2017 Inauguration.
We urge all of you to immediately:
- add you name to the list of signers of this statement and spread it
- donate to make this effort a success (we recommend $200). Go to: http://refusefascism.org/donate/
- write back to us with your ideas on how we will make this a great success. This could include:
- your willingness to spread this in academia & scientific circles/organizations
- host events
- take part in teach-ins
- work to get this statement published
and much more
Here is the link to the web-site for this effort:
–Barry Thornton, main organizer of Defend Science
–Frank Williams, organizer of Defend Science
I’d add that scientists ought to sign on to the Defend Science list — we’re about to need it far more than we ever imagined.