Ladies! Here’s the class for you!
The class, “Biblical Model for Home and Family,” is one of nine courses, with others focusing on the value of a child, clothing construction, nutrition, and meal preparation, that make up a homemaking concentration Southwestern began offering female humanities majors this fall.
The move has attracted criticism, but Bible-based homemaking courses aren’t that unusual. Masters College, a Christian liberal-arts school in California, offers courses teaching women how to cook, manage time, and “joyfully submit to their husbands.” Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., offers a marriage and family class teaching wives how to meet their husbands’ needs and keep marriage exciting.
Why am I not surprised that this course is offered by Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, new home to William Dembski? It does seem like his kind of place.
That’s a seminary, where people go to get lobotomized anyway…but what is the Discovery Channel Store’s excuse? Here’s what they advertise as appropriate science gifts for boys:
Cube Word Series 2 Set (“Create your very own interactive world”)
- Discovery ATM Machine (“This at-home ATM is an excellent way to learn about saving money.”)
- Discovery Radio Controlled Arthropods
- Virtual Distance Football
- Discovery Star Theater
And here’s what the girls get:
- Rainbow In My Room
- Discovery Sew Fun Sewing Machine
- Discovery Pink Slide and Text Messengers (“Chat with your friends wirelessly and transmit text messages up to 15′ away.”)
- Discovery Diamond Dust Microscope
- Discovery Fashion Design Studio
Yeesh. No wonder we have a hard time getting women into science.
Oh, well — it could be worse. They could be endorsing female genital mutilation. Nobody would be crazy enough to do that.