Need something to talk about while I’m on the road? I think Atrios’s post on positive things for progressive bloggers to advocate (which is also echoed by Drum) is an excellent starting point. These are good things that set us apart from them; these are the kinds of ideas we should be talking about. Any right wing trolls want to oppose any of these proposals?
- Undo the bankruptcy bill enacted by this administration
- Repeal the estate tax repeal
- Increase the minimum wage and index it to the CPI
- Universal health care (obviously the devil is in the details on this one)
- Increase CAFE standards. Some other environment-related regulation
- Pro-reproductive rights, getting rid of abstinence-only education, improving education about and access to contraception including the morning after pill, and supporting choice. On the last one there’s probably some disagreement around the edges (parental notification, for example), but otherwise.
- Simplify and increase the progressivity of the tax code
- Kill faith-based funding. Certainly kill federal funding of anything that engages in religious discrimination.
- Reduce corporate giveaways
- Have Medicare run the Medicare drug plan
- Force companies to stop underfunding their pensions. Change corporate bankruptcy law to put workers and retirees at the head of the line with respect to their pensions.
- Leave the states alone on issues like medical marijuana. Generally move towards “more decriminalization” of drugs, though the details complicated there too.
- Paper ballots
- Improve access to daycare and other pro-family policies. Obiously details matter.
- Raise the cap on wages covered by FICA taxes.
- Marriage rights for all, which includes “gay marriage” and quicker transition to citizenship for the foreign spouses of citizens.
These are also good general values sorts of proposals.
- Torture is bad
- Imprisoning citizens without charges is bad
- Playing Calvinball with the Geneva Conventions and treaties generally is bad
- Imprisoning anyone indefinitely without charges is bad
- Stating that the president can break any law he wants any time “just because” is bad
I left out Atrios’ joking suggestion that we jail Goldstein. Who would take care of his kid?