Funds will be used for HDR beneficiary grants and/or for the Humanist Disaster Recovery (HDR) program in order to enable volunteer deployments in hurricane-affected areas. As always, FBB’s goal is to maximize donated dollars to be as effective as possible, and potential grantees undergo a thorough vetting process to ensure they are secular, efficient, and fiscally sound.
A little bit more about FBB:
Foundation Beyond Belief is a humanist charity that promotes secular volunteering and responsible charitable giving. Guided by the principles of secular humanism, our mission is to:
- Unite the humanist community in volunteering and charitable efforts.
- Advocate for compassionate action throughout the world.
We forward our mission through these programs:
- Grants: providing an avenue for humanists to regularly give to highly qualified and vetted charities in a number of cause areas.
- Disaster Recovery: providing humanists an avenue to donate to a qualified and vetted charity in the event of a disaster and sending volunteers out to help rebuild after a disaster strikes.
- Service Corps: An international volunteering program supporting and strengthening local, well-established nonprofits to improve lives.
- Volunteer Network: supporting secular groups in doing service activities in their local communities with our Beyond Belief Network.
In short, Foundation Beyond Belief is humanity at work.
I appreciate the work that they do, and it is nice to see that there is more to secular activism than filing lawsuits and putting up billboards.