We have an e-mail from a viewer who has a LOT of questions. I began to answer it, and got about halfway down before I thought “this is taking A LOT of time.” I asked him if he was OK with me sharing his questions at the blog for reader/viewer response, and he was. So, please feel free to offer your responses. I am sending him this blog article link so he can read your feedback and clarify any questions you may have if he wants to join in. Thank you all for helping this viewer!
Hello Atheist Experience,
Hi, my name is “M” and I would first like to let you all know that your show is really fun to watch, it helps with debates with those who don’t have a full understanding of the truth. I have a bunch of questions I would like you guys to answer so I can get a better understanding and improve my points in these debates. I apologize if this list of questions is really long and boring. Here we go…
1. Someone I know told me that the Old Testament doesn’t apply to us, not only because there is a new covenant, but also because God made those laws for a specific purpose, for example, selling off your daughter to her Rapist only applied to the people at the time. What should I say to that?
2. He says evolution is discredited by the amount of genetic mutations that are negative instead of positive. I replied with the mutation that allows some people to drink milk is positive because it helped people back when food was scarce and also how most mutations don’t do anything, they’re neutral. Was that a good reply and how is his argument true or false?
3. People claim the bible is scientific but the story of Noah’s ark is in there? What other stories show that the bible is as scientific as Harry Potter.
4. How do I explain to those who don’t understand about how “information” cannot exceed the speed of light and how DNA isn’t a written set of instruction that the way most would think of it?
5. Why is Theistic Evolution wrong or unreasonable? I may have gotten the name wrong but a friend of mine says theistic evolution is evolution but with divine intervention behind it all.
6. My friend crashed in a plane recently and he was unscathed. Now all the uber christian kids at my school keep saying Jesus saved him, but for me I ask why he didn’t prevent the crash in the first place. Then they say Jesus doesn’t check planes before they take off. I know this is a subject that hits the emotions, but how do I convince the crash wasn’t divine but instead was a lucky crash?
7. Would finding how life forms can arise from inanimate organisms not just disprove but destroy any religious claims to creation? Also what would you think the response to new extraterrestrial life being discovered? Hement Mehta believes this would be a huge blow to organized religion.
8. Many creationists claim that the odds of humanity coming to be is so improbable. I was thinking before I slept the other day about a new idea(which probably was thought of already because it’s simple). I call it the argument from hindsight. Is this a thing(argument from hindsight)? Is easy to say it must be hard to get to where we are now, but that because we’re looking back. How many Martians are saying this? None because there isn’t anyone to look back at what needs to occur for life.
Anyways this is a really long list of random question, some probably easy to find an answer for on the Internet, but I’d rather have experience people and other opinions and also facts on my questions. Thanks for everything!