Why are you bothered only about terror attacks in the West and not about those taking place more near to you in Asia or Africa?
I am bothered when innocent people are killed anywhere in the World. I may be more bothered when it happens in places where such things never happen because it means violence is spreading. When it happens in liberal Western Europe with a secular democratic polity which opened its gates to thousands of refugees from war and terror torn countries, it bothers me more. I fear that it may result in closing of gates and hardening of attitudes towards Muslims. I fear it may result in strengthening of racist right wing political parties there. That in turn will strengthen the Islamists.
Whom you will not blame when Islamic state carries out a terror attack
a.Islamic state b. Islamist ideology c. Muslims d. Islam e. Iraq war
If there is only one correct choice, my answer is c, Muslims. Of course it is irrational to blame all Muslims.
Whom will you primarily blame when Islamic state carries out terror attack?
a. Islamic state b. Islamist ideology c. Muslims d. Islam e. Iraq war
Islamic state of course
Whom will you secondarily blame when Islamic state or other Islamists carries out terror attack?
a. Islamist ideology b. Muslims c. Islam d. Iraq war
My answer is Islamist ideology and Islam. Islamist terror is almost equal mixture of politics and religion.
What about Iraq war? Or Palestine problem?
It may be true that Islamist state may not have become so powerful if there were no US led regime change in Baghdad. But the area was always volatile because of a heady mixture of politics, religion, westernophobia and western interference that if not ISIS, another group might have done similar gruesome acts.
Will you support closing of gates to refugees by the West?
No, I won’t. Terrorists will be able to strike with or without closed gates. But by closing the gates we are losing the opportunity to help those fleeing the terror.
Do you know how to end such Islamist terror attacks everywhere in the World?
I think I know how not to do it.
- Terrorism cannot be defeated by targeting innocent Muslims in the West or in the East.
- It cannot be beaten by believing Islam is a religion of peace and only a handful of misguided youths are responsible for it.
- It cannot also be contained by thinking banning Islam is the answer.
- It will not go away by saying and believing religion has no role in it.
- It cannot be stopped by supporting and supplying arms to Saudis or any other dictatorships in the area.
- It cannot be prevented by allowing sharia laws or sex segregated class rooms or meeting halls in the West.
- It will not end by forced regime change from outside.
- It wont be affected if your primary aim of fighting terror is to have a puppet regime.
- It cannot be contained by voting for xenophobic rulers in your country.
- It will not help to encourage religious extremists because it suits your business interests
- It is no good if you think strategic geo politics is more important than support for liberal democratic regimes.
- It cannot be defeated if Muslims and for that matter all theists do not introspect and try to get politics out of their religion and religion out of their politics.
- Finally and may be most importantly it will not end if we cannot ensure socio economically and politically level playing fields between countries and communities.