My next bobbin lace project was a picture of an orchid. It was inspired by the orchids that my father grows on the windowsill in our living room, but it is not, of course, intended to be an accurate representation of any specific plant/species. This time I did not use paper and pencil at all, I started rightaway drawing on my PC with my tablet and I ended up with this coloured sketch.
From the sketch, I have made a template that could be printed out. The important thing to not forget by an assymetrical design like this is to mirror the image – the lace has a front and back. In this case not only all the knots are on the back side, but important is also the stalk of the blossoms which is in front of the right leaf.
The final step was, of course, making the actual lace. It took me circa 40 hours. you can look below the fold whether it was worth the effort.