Yes, I didn’t only stock up on resin, but also on tools, though admittedly I’d have bought them anyway.
The first one is a tiny foldable workbench. I still don’t have a workshop and if this lasts long enough for us to clean up the cellar we’ll also be busy digging up the garden and planting potatoes. Anyway, shaping resin mechanically makes a hell lot of dirt, so I prefer doing it outside anyway.
The top plates can be moved together or apart and the little plastic thingies are cramps you can use to hold your stuff.
Works surprisingly well. For the next part I removed the cramps and unpacked item #2: a plate to fix the jigsaw to:
Oops, it looked better in the thumbnail. But you get the principle. This is so I can cut some larger pieces of resin. In the end I will get a bandsaw some day, but for now this will have to do. First object: a wannabe dragon egg.
It’s got a piece of burl at the bottom and some gold flakes in the resin. As a container I reappropriated a milk box.
I figured that every bit of resin I could remove with a saw would safe a lot of sanding later and girl was I right. It worked OK. As expected the vibrations were bad, especially when the angle at which I cut got small and of course holding the piece with two hands was not always possible. I will also add that I’ve got a very, very good jigsaw and the blade was new. Still a success.
Today I unpacked another toy, eh tool, a plate grinder. I only have a belt grinder that is meant to be handheld and therefore a pain in the ass. This is something completely different and seriously makes sanding so. much. easier.
So here’s the remaining pieces before and after sanding:
BTW, if you ever want to ruin some sanding paper quickly, try having hot glue on your work piece:
The eggs aren’t perfect, but I’m happy with them. The one with the nails was hell to sand because they would heat up and burn your fingers on the other side of the piece…
Now for my favourite (cough, cough) part: sanding and polishing…