Via Winnipeg Free Press, a spokesperson for the Public Safety Minister Vic Toews confirmed that the long gun registry has been destroyed — at least, except for Quebec’s, where legal battles are ongoing. Interestingly, the Harper government did not issue a press release on the matter; it took gun enthusiasts rumoring about the registry’s destruction before the spokesperson would confirm.
No formal news release appears to have been issued by a Conservative government that has made repeal and destruction of the long-gun registry one of its bedrock promises.
Nor has the government said exactly how much taxpayer money will be saved by repealing the registry, although a study by The Canadian Press suggests it is a small fraction of the millions spent annually on gun licensing.
Could it be because the suggested “savings” are a total canard? A non-starter? A… dare I say it… complete line of bullshit?
My understanding of the situation is that it actually cost us money to excise and destroy existing records securely, since none of the processes or programs or data structures were removed, only the long gun data — since those processes are still necessary to handle restricted and prohibited weapons.
Last year there were almost eight million firearms logged in the registry, including more than seven million “non-restricted” weapons.
The latest data from the RCMP shows that, as of last July, there are still more than 564,000 restricted firearms and more than 191,000 prohibited weapons in the federal gun registry.
So seven and a quarter-ish million guns are now complete mysteries as far as law enforcement is concerned. Do you feel safer?
“Our Conservative government is proud to say that as of last night, all contents of the long-gun registry have been destroyed, except those related to Quebec,” Toews’ director of communications Julie Carmichael said in an email Thursday.
“Make no mistake, the tax-and-spend NDP will not hesitate to bring back the long gun registry. Now that these data have been deleted, they can never be recovered — even by Thomas Mulcair,” wrote the government spokeswoman.
Oh, tax-and-spend. Oh snap. Someone call an ambulance, Mulcair got buuuuuurned.
Better than borrow-and-spend, or borrow-and-spend-and-eliminate-social-programs-anyway.
While there was no formal news release from Public Safety, groups such as the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters were out issuing public praise for the move after Toews apparently told representatives at a federal-provincial meeting Thursday in Regina.
Perhaps they thought it would be gauche of the Public Safety minister to issue a press release about how much safer we are without knowing who has guns and when and to whom these guns are being shuffled about.
But you think it’s going to stop there?
The Canadian Sports Shooting Association, meanwhile, issued a statement telling its members to “rest assured, we are the envy of international firearms advocates everywhere” because Canada is almost alone internationally in rolling back gun control laws.
“The removal of the registry is, however, more nibble than bite,” added the commentary from the association.
The emboldened gun lobby now wants to see recent rules on marking guns repealed and some are also calling for an end to the licensing system.
Yeah. No licenses, no markings. Let’s revert to the wild west days of have gun, will travel.