Engagement rings are bullshit.
My latest for the Guardian was a lighter piece – that actually ties into more deeper elements of my hatred for most things romance – on this.
The comment section is a pleasant (/sarcasm) space of people questioning the usual, irrelevant details of me:
- Do I really get paid to write this? (Yes)
- Have I got nothing better to focus on? (I can do many things at the same time and do)
- Is this a letter/gripe because I’ve been dumped (No, if it was and the relationship hinged on jewellery then that’s a relationship I’d be glad to be out of)
- I must be obviously single (Not that it’s anyone’s business but I’m in a happy, long-term relationship with an amazing woman who laughed at the comments)
- I’m a cheapskate (Well done for proving my thesis that marketers for diamond companies can get their customers to shame men/others into purchases of a tradition the marketers started and for measuring love according to shiny rocks).
Some people seem fascinated with my ugly mug staring at them. I found that sweet.