Yesterday – all credit to our techies for a smooth-as-glass transition – the new-look Freethought Blogs went live. There’s a bit of a story to this redesign, of which I’m not sure how much I should tell, but suffice to say the world’s most useless web designers took eight months to code something our own people had to rewrite. (Again, hats off.) This delay is why it’s taken us so long to add our newest bloggers, some of whom you likely know of: my understanding is, they’ll appear this weekend.
The new site’s admittedly a bit generic – don’t ask what that hand logo’s about – and whoever thought the text-space in our posts needed more width should have a scrapbook of media sites and a sense of pattern recognition tossed at them. (Which paragraph is more readable: this, or the last one?) On the plus side, the garish borders around images are gone, our site is finally mobile-responsive and the new frontpage is fierce. Hopefully the wallpaper – I might still find a different background I prefer – gives this blog back some character, and in love with Georgia as I am, I’ve decided I should go sans-serif for a while.
Details are still being hammered out, tiny and not-so-tiny glitches being addressed. If anything’s amiss, do let me know, though you may want to check other blogs for issues already raised:
- We had a makeover for our birthday (Pharyngula)
- Welcome to the New Freethought Blogs (Dispatches from the Culture Wars)
- Freethought Blogs Is Back Up – With A Sniny New Design! (Greta Christina’s Blog)
- Yes, There’s a New Theme. No, It’s Not Perfect Yet (En Tequila Es Verdad)
- FreeThoughtBlogges Site Renovation (Comradde Physioproffe)
- The fantastically fly new Freethought Blogs Friday Open Thread (Heteronormative Patriarchy for Men)
Now to uncover the furniture, sit at the desk and write. Ta-ta for now.