Michigan held its primaries on Tuesday and one of the people who won was Gary Glenn, the leader of the American Family Association of Michigan. Right Wing Watch accurately compares him to Gordon Klingenscmitt and says he will rival Gordo as the most anti-gay state legislator in the country if he wins the general election (and he probably will).
Glenn was a prominent supporter of Michigan’s 2004 constitutional amendment banning marriage equality and was a big backer of his “very special friend” Mike Huckabee’s 2008 presidential bid. As the head of the American Family Association’s Michigan affiliate, Glenn has pushed any number of extreme anti-gay positions:
- Wants states to be able to recriminalize homosexuality: “[W]e believe that states should be free to regulate and prohibit behavior that’s a violation of community standards and a proven threat to public health and safety — including, as most of the United States did throughout its history, homosexual behavior.”
- Warned that companies should be wary of hiring LGBT people.
- Wanted public schools to ban Gay Straight Alliances because they promote “homosexual propaganda” and “risky behavior.”
- Called anti-bullying measures the “Trojan horse” of “homosexual activists.”
- Was a plaintiff in a lawsuit to stop the 2009 federal hate crimes law by falsely claiming it would criminalize the Bible.
Glenn is pretty much a vile human being. And he’s likely to be serving in the state legislature here in Michigan in a few months.