Quantcast

«

»

May 06 2014

Fox: We’ll Cover Obama Press Conference Only When It Fits Our Narrative

President Obama held a joint press conference with German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Friday and Fox News was ready to carry it live, right up until they realized that no one was asking questions about the only subject they ever want to talk about: Benghazi.

Obama’s conference came just as House Republicans announced that they were forming a select committee to further investigate the 2012 attacks, but Fox News apparently grew frustrated that he was getting questions on the situation in Ukraine and the botched execution in Oklahoma. When a German reporter stood up, Fox News host Harris Faulkner told viewers that the network was cutting away, and that it would stay away unless someone asked about Benghazi.

“We are not anticipating that that [question] would be about the situation with Benghazi, which is breaking news since the president has been talking, really,” she said. “So if in fact somebody throws him a question on this topic, we’ll go back to that joint news conference…we’re going to move on here with what is breaking.”

“If anyone asks a question that feeds into the narrative we’ve been pushing for more than a year now, we’ll come back to it. Until then, here’s our latest speculation on that same narrative. Up next, the stars of the new Spiderman movie. We’ll be finding out what they think about Benghazi” Of course, Obama and Merkel only held that press conference to distract attention away from Benghazi.

12 comments

Skip to comment form

1. 1
    busterggi

Wait, tonight Faux will have a story on how Obama held this press conference to avoid talking about Bengazi.

You know they will.

2. 2
    eric

‘Breaking news’ – I do not think it means what you think it means.

3. 3
    Crimson Clupeidae

eric, they don’t even know what ‘news’ means…..

4. 4
    Synfandel

I understand he didn’t like being called Gazi, preferring Mr. Gazzara or just Ben.

5. 5
    Mr Ed

When I was in school the independent student paper was obsessed with apartheid. No matter who was speaking on what subject one of the reporters would shoe horn a question about apartheid. The next day the headlines would declare “[speaker] speaks out on apartheid.” It was poor journalism trying to create the news instead of reporting it but I can take some comfort that they all landed on their feet at Fox.

6. 6
    Synfandel

Talking Points Memo:

Dana Perino, co-host of Fox News’ “The Five,” challenged meteorologists on Monday to ask Obama the tough questions on the 2012 attacks in Libya.

“Tomorrow, President Obama is going to do interviews with meteorologists all across the country about a new climate change report,” she said. “I hope they ask him about Benghazi.”

(Video included)

7. 7
    scienceavenger

@1 They’ve already had a report on how other networks aren’t talking about Benghazi.

They’ve been running with this meme for months. Obama only pushed equal pay for women to distract from Obamacare. This morning’s announcement on action to combat carbon emissions was described as “a distraction from Benghazi”. Talk about thinking you make the news instead of reporting on it.

Personally I just imagine all of them wearing shock collars that go off whenever they say “Benghazi”. Gets me through the broadcast with a smile.

8. 8
    scienceavenger

I wonder how Fox will handle the news when the tape comes out of Obama telling Hillary “Pretend you are running for president again. That way these numbnuts will waste all their capital and time attacking you on BS like Benghazi while our actual candidates can get through the season without a scratch.”

9. 10
    Modusoperandi

Even if it did come up, Obama would only talk about Benghazi to distract from Benghazi.

10. 11
    colnago80

Apparently the Rethuglicans learned nothing from their impeachment of Clinton and are planning to use the Bengazi hearings to provide a pretense to impeach Obama.

http://goo.gl/6TXHLT

11. 12
    F [i'm not here, i'm gone]

I don’t even know what Benghazi means any more.

I had to look it up. Oh, right. And they are still on about what now? We should nuke Libya (and Obama, apparently)?