Justin Griffith reports that they have resubmitted the application to hold Rock Beyond Belief 2 at Camp Pendleton later this year. The original application was turned down with transparently absurd excuses, all of which have been answered in the resubmission.
YOUR STATED REASONS FOR REJECTION:
1) Too expensive
2) Too little manpower
3) All-day rally [Unclear if this is a problem.]
4) 8000 attendees [Unclear if this is a problem.]
See attached rejection letter for reference.
MITIGATING YOUR CONCERNS:
1) American Atheists will pay for everything that (Armor of Light) AoL has historically paid for. All we want is the same deal. We don’t expect a ‘free concert’ using appropriated funds. Tell us where to deposit the check.
2) You already have enough manpower. Whatever manpower typically ensures your MCCS events happen should be sufficient. It’s the same as the other sectarian events you continue to host. FOIA indicates that Del Mar Beach staff, and MCCS staff handle much of this work, augmenting Pendleton asset support such as PMO, Legal for approval, and Public Affairs.
3) We are not requesting an ‘all day rally’. We are requesting a concert, not a rally. It will feature some bands and a few speakers in between. We have altered our request to closely mirror AoL’s 2009 MercyMe concert (the only one we received any information on in our first round of FOIA.)
4) MCCS was tasked to support 15,000 attendees for AoL’s recent MercyMe concert – The MercyMe concert from 2009 had the support of Camp Pendleton’s MCCS, SES, and PMO (and others) to support 15,000 attendees. Our request now more accurately reflects expectations of equality.
LEGAL / REGULATIONS:
Camp Pendleton is obligated by regulation to be both willing and able to support all sectarian events equally, if they allow any at all. See attached regulations DoD Directive 5410 and JE 3-211 for a small sample of relevant doctrine.
The Marine Corps is either going to agree to this or they’re going to be taken to court, where they will lose.