People often email The Atheist Experience to ask if we’ll be covering a specific current event or relevant topic. The answer is usually no, because The Atheist Experience isn’t that kind of show — we may discuss brief topics to fill time, but mostly we are driven by callers. But guess what? The Non-Prophets is a current events show, hosted by me, Jeff Dee, and Denis Loubet, airing every other week. We do an audio broadcast live on Ustream every first and third Wednesday of every month, and you can also listen to the show as a podcast.
If you come across a piece of news worthy of discussion at any time, you are invite to post a link in a tweet with the hashtag #NonProphetsNews. No need to post it at any specific Twitter account, although I am @RussellGlasser if you have a general message. I always scan the complete list of tweets using that hashtag since the last show aired. Using the hashtag is absolutely the most reliable way to bring it to my attention as weekly news; emailed links tend to get lost in the shuffle. If I read your story, I will usually try to mention your name or Twitter handle on the show as credit.
Here are some guidelines for stories that are likely to be used:
- I’m looking for direct links to written stories about interesting or unusual events that have some kind of significant religion, science, or civil rights angle. We will be reading and discussing interesting stories on the air, not necessarily your comments about the story.
- Please don’t send videos (I can’t read a video!) or vague references to a topic of interest with no link.
- I prefer articles with minimal editorial slant. We prefer to do our own editorializing. In other words, New York Times > RawStory > Some guy’s blog.
- An exception to the above rule is that we do a weekly segment titled “Shit Internet Apologists Say.” I’m looking for the silliest, most outrageous example of the online community making bad arguments or being bigoted and ridiculous. If you’re submitting a story as SIAS rather than news, mention that.
- As a guideline, I have a sporadically maintained document with the following categories: Atheist Data, US Politics, International, Social Justice / gay rights, Science, Religious Outrage, “Just Silly”, and of course, “SIAS candidates.”
(No need to post any news in the comments of this post; this is a general information post that I will be linking people to if they have questions.)