Okay, okay, I know not all atheists are behind Barack Obama… so congratulations or condolences depending on where you happen to land on that question. However, I offer some reasons for the great majority of us to be cheerful today:
- Gay marriage. Maine and Maryland became the first states to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote. Washington state reaffirmed it. Minnesota shot down a bill to outlaw it.
- With apologies to Kristine and our great friends at Secular Pro-Life (whom Matt recently vowed to continue debating until the entire organization is dismantled)… abortion. Todd “legitimate rape” Akin got the smackdown. Richard “gift from God” Mourdock is out too.
- Diversity. The 2012 Congress will have 19 women as Senators, the highest number in history.
- God lost this election… repeatedly. In the Republican primaries, three candidates — Perry, Bachmann, and Cain — all stated that God wanted them to run for president. None of them even made it past the first few rounds. Romney said no such thing; nevertheless, 74% of Evangelical Christians got over their revulsion for Mormonism and stated their intention to vote for Romney. Lou Engle, a self-styled prophet, let us know that God was DEMANDING that we vote for Romney: “I sensed the Lord saying, Will you stand with Me in my covenantal faithfulness? Will you stand for my ancient covenant with My people? A deep abiding ‘yes’ began to conquer my arguments…” But ya know, even the full force of the Almighty’s endorsement does jack squat for a the candidate, apparently.
- Math. It works. So says xkcd.