So, not a lot to say about the end of the world cup, I just want to show this picture, which you should click to see a very awesome animated GIF, which I stole from someone else. I’m super happy for Spain!
So, the most important things we’ve learned in the last three days are.
1. Portugal kicked North Korea’s ass hardcore, and probably could’ve gotten more goals if it’d been more on target.
2. Spain seems to have regained its footing, its next game against Chile is important, but if they continue to play solidly they may still be in this
3. Brazil is definitely in, Portugal is probably in — their game is going to be fun to watch
4. Italy is not quite as embarrassing as France, but close
5. Netherlands is definitely in, Cameroon is definitely out
So, the last round of games is upon us. They’re going to be two at a time, so a two hour stretch of time is going to determine who moves on of the four of each group. North Korea and Cameroon are the only teams that are for sure out, and Argentina, Brazil and Netherlands are the only ones definitely in, so it’s 27 teams fighting for 13 spots.
Nate Silver gives odds!
Netherlands v Denmark
Netherlands won as expected with the added bonus of a freak Denmark own goal.
Japan v Cameroon
Japan with an upset over Cameroon.
Italy v Paraguay
Italy was supposed to trounce Paraguay, and instead they ended up trailing for most of the game, and just pulling out a tie in the second half. Italy is not playing nearly as well as they did last cup, where they were the winners, but they have a reputation for eking by for the win anyway.
Finally put something on paper for the second act of D4aD. Hopefully the lack of a blank page staring at me will let me move with some speed through the rest of it.