Warning: heavy sarcasm ahead.
Prompted by some combination of bad psych journalism, tropes, and bad advice I’ve been given.
- Take your meds. People who go off their meds are scary and dangerous, and I heard about one of them who went on a rampage. But also, you shouldn’t need your medication to function. Everybody is overmedicated these days and it’s not the Real You ™ once those pills touch your tongue.
- It’s really irritating to have to put up with your weird requests and boundaries and all that attention you need. But tell us what we can do to help you!
- Think positive. Keep thinking positive. Are you thinking positive thoughts? What about now?
- It’s really important that you get treatment, but isn’t, like, everybody mentally ill these days?
- Definitely don’t have problems with substance abuse, because at that point it’s all a lack of willpower.
- Make sure you have a disorder that’s commonplace enough for us to recognize it, but not too common–that’s the stuff everybody has these days, and it’s probably because the [internet/technology/schools] are causing it.
Have more? Add them in the comments.
Grouchy Kate will go on hiatus beginning tomorrow–I’ll be back to normal blogging.