Sometimes we forget things we take for granted.
As the occurrence of vaccine-preventable diseases declines, the challenge of communicating the risk of not being immunized increases.Every situation is unique; parents have diverse concerns for various reasons. These can be cultural, religious or even personal. Many believe there is a link between some diseases and immunisations or believe in strange ideas perpetrated by unscrupulous online media. It’s no secret.
Blogs like this actually are in the minority. I understand my blog is in the medium sized category. I can get around 1500 to 2000 hits a day. What I get in a month Natural News often gets in a day. It racks up 8 MILLION views. If a 1000 hits equated to $1 it would be large enough to be making around 9000 dollars A MONTH and that is without sales of quackery and speaking fees and all the other things Mike Adams gets. Considering the level of research and the harm it causes it is quite shocking. [Read more…]
One of the amusing things in general about the anti-vax is their unwillingness to be able to do work. I do get some amusing hate mail. Mostly its the “Fuck You baby Killer” variety which is a dig on the fact for a short period, I was FTB’s official abortionist. See? I used to do abortions and quite frankly I don’t think it is any of my business judging the people who have abortions for their situations. It is their choice. If you are against abortion then don’t have one.
I got sent this as a sort of “dagger through the heart” post meant to end my stance on vaccination. I figure I should do this as a two parter. So let’s look at the first “letter to doctors”. This one from someone speaking as a parent.
If someone said “speaking as a parent, I think it is okay to mix water and electricity” we would consider them shoddy parents. Yet the same sort of logic is considered acceptable. Parents often make poor decisions with regards to children’s healthcare and that is fine. However don’t portray yourself as an equal in terms of knowledge. One of the prices of my education is realising how much I don’t know. A lot of my medical posts are after a read through of the literature and text books. [Read more…]
The global poll found that in 22 out of the 39 countries surveyed, the majority of people believe that faith in God is needed for people to be moral and have good values. The results varied considerably throughout regions, with European nations most often rejecting that such a belief is necessary for morality, while Africa and the Middle East were particularly strong in opinion that faith in God is necessary for good values.
Good on us Europeans. [Read more…]
Dear Atheist Santa, What I want for Christmas is an explanation. All of my Christmas gifts are designed and are given to me by someone who loves me. None of my Christmas gifts happen by themselves. So why am I wrong to believe that my life is a much bigger gift, which is given to me by Someone who loves me, too?
There is a rather interesting lawsuit out there.
It’s alleged that César Ramirez of Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare, a place with a $305 a plate was rather blatant about his biases. The chef at a three-Michelin-star eatery in Brooklyn dictated that lesser pieces of meat be given to Asian customers and Upper West Siders.
Every so often A Voice for Men decides to help out Indian Men.
Usually by siding with the most harmful and idiotic arguments and encouraging the status quo. This started with a hilarious claim that India isn’t misogynist because women have free entry into nightclubs and their own lines.
I was amused by the attempts of MRA to try to compare the separate seating for women in buses and trains in India and comparing it to that endured by Rosa Parks. Two reasons. Firstly? If Black people were being touched up by White people in buses they would want separate seating to ensure they can get to places without the man putting his hand down your pants and think separate seating is a good idea. Secondly? Do you have any idea how daft it is to bring up Rosa Parks as if she was the first person to think of this particularly to Indians. Come on! Do your research! Rosa Parks was INSPIRED by this man because this was a really old method of breaking the rules of Apartheid.
Hint. It is Gandhi. But this is just my being pedantic.
Seriously? In general the MRA have not been helpful towards men’s rights. A short list for new readers?
1. MRA attempted to spin the Delhi Rape and the fact that in India sexual assault and harassment is so normal and ubiquitous. That actually trying to find sympathetic Police to try and prosecute is hard and that even attempting to fight back can result in your death. MRA seriously tried to claim to me (I am from a scheduled caste. I am harijan) that caste issues in India are bigger than gender issues forgetting that you can be untouchable and female and have the shit from botth.
2. MRA attempted to claim that Afghanistan is not that bad for women and that men have it worse.
3. MRA have attempted to defend the rapists and blame the underage victim of the Steubenville Rape Attack.
4. MRA have attempted to blame the underage victims as found out by Operation Yew Tree. AKA The scandal where children’s TV presenters such as Stuart Hall and Jimmy Saville turned out to be paedophiles who preyed on children using their fame and fortune to protect themselves. American have seen a similar issue in the actions of Bill Crosby. A trusted figure turned out to be much more harmful. MRA weighed on the side of the attackers in both cases.
5. MRA and Gamer Gate got together to subject me to a barrage of racist and homophobic abuse. I was called a Nigger and a Faggot. A Voice For Men’s Communications Officer who has the good fortune to be responsible for the prior two defences of rapists and paedophiles attempted to defend the racism and homophobia as free speech. She also attempted to claim that “Fag” meant cigarette. Newer readers may be unaware but I am British. Fag to us means cigarette. However we are smart enough to know that when someone calls us a “Fag” it doesn’t mean “You are a Cigarette”, but “you are a homosexual and that is a bad thing”. She also used the “I am robbing the word Nigger of its power” argument. It finally ended with the statement from MRA that they don’t have any reason to deal with Gay Rights or Racism since they were just interested in Men’s Rights. This I must point out was in the aftermath of the Ferguson Racism Riots where it is mainly Black MEN who are being killed. Rather than fight actual issues pertaining to men, the MRA would rather defend the right to be racist if it fucks over someone critical of them.
So to see them weigh in on India and invite Indians to defend a culture that babies Indian Men until it creates 21 year old toddlers with temper tantrums is astonishing. What’s worse is the willingness of Indian MRA to accept the racism within the MRA (We are aware of MRA such as Theadore Beale, The Spearfront and Return of the Kings) if it means gaining their support.
As I pointed out? The irony is Indian MRA often become the shield against racism that the MRA waggle at us when we call out their racism. It’s been nearly a month since the amalgamation of Gamergate and MRA called me a “Nigger”. Since then a couple of Gamergate have apologised for such behaviour. The majority have tried to spin it as “okay”. Among the MRA? Not one has had the spine to state that “It is unacceptable to accept racism and homophobia and it is an issue that affects all men”.
I often joked that Shia LaBeouf spent most of his career ruining my child hood. His roles in the remake of Rear Window started it. His role as whiney entitled douchebro in the Transformers movie cemented it. His detour to destroy the good memories of Indiana Jones only embellished his actions. The final straw was his role in the Wall Street sequel.
The sad truth is? He was easy to dislike. He was entitled. He was douchey. He stole and plagiarised less famous people. The bit from Transformers that defined him the most was his role in the Third one. Whining about his amazing house, angry in his car painted to remind himself of his glory days and angry that his girlfriend was more successful than he was. But I agree, he doesn’t write the scripts and I am going to assume he never really spoke out against such hack acting. But he wasn’t a sympathetic character. He was a cock. [Read more…]
Indian women are often judged harshly for the clothes they wear. Either they are too revealing or too boring or too ugly or too scandalous. The idea of the “sexy” Indian woman exists only in the dream state of cinema.
The same men who whoop and holler at the sexy women on the big screen dancing to modern music would be quick to condemn both the music and much tamer outfits among “real women”.
Gauhar Khan is a fairly famous Indian actress who won last year’s “Indian Big Brother”. She was assaulted on stage by a man who took offence to the clothes she wore.
“Being a Muslim woman, she should not have worn such a short dress.”
It doesn’t matter what dress she wears. If you are offended then look away. She is not there to dress to your satisfaction.
I like it when Hera dresses up. It’s not a demand, it’s not even a request. It’s something she chooses to do to surprise me. But I don’t begrudge her in sweatpants and wearing my T-shirt while watching bad TV. The dress of a woman doesn’t allow you to touch her in any way. Her consent does. As any sort of man irrespective of the gods of your fathers, do you think it is acceptable to strike any human in public let alone a woman and promote the status quo of casual violence aimed at women?
And this isn’t the only such story of the casual nature of thuggish behaviour within Indian culture. It is very easy for a young man to be justified in his violence.
A young man belonging to the Scheduled Caste and his Muslim wife were hacked to death in broad daylight in a village of Hapur, Uttar Pradesh, on Saturday – allegedly by the woman’s brother – for defying the diktat of the village headmen and staying married.
Sonu and Danishta Begum got married four months ago and lived in his house in Fatehpur Village around 75 Km from Delhi. In a story that would have made our hearts swell? They were neighbours for 13 years and childhood sweethearts.
Sonu was hacked to death by Danishta’s brother Talib before he cut her throat. Talib and the girl’s mother Noor Jehan have been arrested. Four others have evaded arrest.
While we would think that caste or religion would be the cause of the murder, it wasn’t. It was fear of reprisals from the Village Headmen that drove the killing. [Read more…]