India is a deeply conservative country that’s sexually repressive for both sexes. If you took off your sexist gender goggles you might be able to discuss deeper issues than ‘rape’ and ‘rape’ and more ‘rape. There are Cast issues of profound significance. Huge ethnic and religious tensions that spin off into riots. There are Maoist rebels raising up against capitalist interest and you can only focus on RAPE.
I’d much rather here from those in India instead of those in the west who demonize other countries so they can feel superior.
I think you may have bitten off more than you can chew here.
1. While India is a deeply conservative country with sexual repression for both genders, the level aimed at women is much much worse than what men endure.
2. Women have it much much worse in India. It’s quite clear to anyone who isn’t an MRA who has to push the notion that Indian women have it better as if it justifies their lifestyle choice.
3. Another person telling Indians to ignore rapes. Well done. You can sit alongside all the other people who have been ignoring rape in India. Prior to the Delhi rape there was just 1 prosecuted rape in Delhi that year. Now the dialogue is changing as more women come forward.
4. If you are aware of anything about Indian culture or politics or society you would know that there is a major culture of unhealthy male on female harassment that would be considered unwanted sexual harassment in a western nation but in India is often ignored as “boys will be boys” and this includes sexual harassment and molestation.
5. When you travel to India as a woman you are told to not travel alone and that you will get harassed. Harassment, Sexual Assault and Rape are facts of life and a lot of Indians are kind of sick of being portrayed as sexual predators.
6. It’s spelt caste. And caste issues affect women too. There has been more done to alleviate caste issues than to alleviate sexism and the combination between caste and women’s rights is deadly as we saw in last week’s rape in Uttar Pradesh where police refused to help a low caste family’s call for help.
7. In the wake of ethnic and religious tension, rape is weapon.
8. Maoists are a separate issue of poor economic disparity, loss of faith in the economic mobility and political process in addition to a ethos that appeals to the poorest members of society.
9. This entire topic is with regards to the MRA, I have pointed out the actions of the MRA with regards to India have been to try and cover up the abuse of women and a deeply sexist society that devalues women to the point of actually killing them. I have also pointed out the actions of “well known and appreciated” MRA.
You wish to ignore the topic and discuss caste and maoism more than the actual issue of gender discrimination? That’s the argument
Oh and you made one fatal error.
I am living in India. And I am ethnically Indian.