Gay Marriage is the modern Bread and Circus. It’s used to distract from the real issues in the USA. In this case?The cynic in me says this… It was election year and Obama is rather competent. Republicans have nothing else (and to be fair, Obama is guilty of this to some extent himself but it seems reactionary rather than something he starts) to go on apart from attempting to play the “Won’t Someone Think of the Children” card. There are big issues in the world. We are running out of fuel. We are in the economic doldrums. AIDS… And yet we see pandering to people who think the BIGGEST problem being faced is two people of the same gender getting married. It’s bread and circuses. It distracts from these very real issues which is precisely why it’s being contested. Republicans don’t lose anything by gay people getting married. They do however gain a lot from opposing it. It gets them votes from the kind of people who don’t think beyond the hype from a few nutters. And nutters do scream the loudest (mainly because normal, sensible and logical people have better things to do than scream about how gay sex summons hurricanes).
It’s a pointless piece of oppression done solely to distract people. It polarises the fears of people wh fear and hate the gays into a civil rights issue which forces anyone sensible to argue over this issue rather than say “Fiscal Policy”. The American Right benefit from this because if you are too busy fighting over this then you won’t pay attention to other things. How many people vote for Republicans as the “moral” choice based on things like this when in reality the other republican platforms are straight terrible for some people. The argument in the UK used for this is “Makes You Wan’t To Vote BNP, Don’t It?”. Where you indicate a willingness to vote for Neo-Nazis because they have a tough stance on whatever it is you hate today. I fear the sole reason the USA debates things like basic healthcare for women or the right of two people to sign a register that gives them some benefits is solely to create issues where there are none because honestly there is no choice between the two parties. You are basically torn between red or blue. Far Right and Centre-Right. It’s a lovely piece of legerdemaine where you can distract people from seriously major issues over what two people chose to do in the privacy of their own homes by portraying it as the downfall of society rather than say “Non-Ethical Banking” and “Unregulated Industrial Pollution”.
It taps into a very bizarre fear. That somehow accepting homosexuals will result in the breakdown of society in a fundamental way and will create some sort of bizarre alternate reality where Mad Max is crossed with The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert and possibly Heavy Metal.
Let’s get this straight (ho ho ho… double entendre!), there is no controversy about gay marriage or homosexuals. The fear about it is entirely manufactured. No one is having a “gay old time” except for gay people. I am straight myself. Legalising gay marriage is not going to make me gay. Every time I go to places where gay marriage is legal I don’t get a sudden craving for the cock. It’s the same for the majority of us straight people. I am sure there are some “straight” men who do it but honestly if you are honest with your spouse they are unlikely to leave you for someone of the same gender out of the blue. And it’s not only “Conservative Christians” who are against Gay Marriage. Social Conservatives of all stripes be they Hindu, Jewish, Muslim or Mormon, all campaign AGAINST gay marriage. It’s a drive by a group of people who have some very queer ideas about what gay marriage is all about.
This article fails to understand the fundamental point. The law exists for everyone, not just christians. Christianity is not the goddamn law. Secular Law is the Law. Claiming that there is no use fighting because it’s counter productive, makes you look bad and ruins witness is understating the problem. If you are christian and against gay marriage it makes you look like an intolerant, homophobic arsehole. If your definition of “love” is intolerance then you really need to go look up what the very definition of love means. If glorifying your god involves being a complete tosser then I am sorry, your god has no place in our society.
The Five reasons given as to why Christians should keep fighting against the provision of the legal recognition of homosexual marriage are equally idiotic.
1. Every time the issue of gay marriage has been put to a vote by the people, the people have voted to uphold traditional marriage. Even in California. In fact, the amendment passed in North Carolina on Tuesday by a wider margin (61-39) than a similar measure passed six years ago in Virginia (57-42). The amendment passed in North Carolina, a swing state Obama carried in 2008, by 22 percentage points. We should not think that gay marriage in all the land is a foregone conclusion. To date 30 states have constitutionally defined marriage as between a man and a woman.
This argument boils down to “Don’t give up! Be like these unenlightened wankers!”. It’s simple. In the USA the same argument as this was used to contest the fall of Apartheid. This is a tyranny of the majority. The argument is not “What Christians Want” but “What Is Right”. Gay People have “gotten married before”.See the thing is any damn fool can get married. If you want you can marry a goddamn tree. It’s just that the marriage won’t be accepted as LEGAL in the eyes of the law since the tree cannot give consent and we may make fun of you for it. The ceremony of the wedding does not make a marriage, the signing of the register is what makes the marriage. What Gay Marriage is about is not the ceremony but the actual signing of the register. The ceremony can go hang for all I care. I don’t want Nick Griffin at my wedding, why would the GLBT community want homophobes at theirs? Is it sadism or masochism to invite one anyways? What the “christian” argument is, is an anti-marriage argument. If marriage is a religious event then by the establishment clause of the American constitution, the event is NOT constitutional.
I am damn sure that Christian Marriage Proponents wouldn’t mind gaining equal rights as gay marriage the other way. By removing all the benefits of heterosexual marriage until it has the same rights as a homosexual in such a partnership. If marriage is truly ordained by the a sky fairy then I am sure christians will survive without the evil humanist hand of the government to give them fucking hand outs.
How can Kevin DeYoung claim to be fighting for love when this entire argument is based on the fact that it can harm the love of other people. For a long time the constitution defined women and black people as not human either. Doesn’t make the states right. It just means that the states are run by bigots.
2. The promotion and legal recognition of homosexual unions is not in the interest of the common good. That may sound benighted, if not bigoted. But we must say it in love: codifying the indistinguishability of gender will not make for the “peace of the city.” It rubs against the grain of the universe, and when you rub against the grain of divine design you’re bound to get splinters. Or worse. The society which says sex is up to your own definition and the family unit is utterly fungible is not a society that serves its children, its women, or its own long term well being.
Again. Kevin uses the word Love and doesn’t quite understand the meaning of the word. He also doesn’t understand homosexuality or effeminate men. And starting your argument like this is the homophobe equivalent of “I am not a racist, but…”.Kevin is promoting the idea that all gay people are transgender or don’t fit into traditional gender appearances. Anyone who has met any sizeable number of gay people will quickly realise that most don’t fit into any specific appearance. And modern gender roles are actually very different from what they used to be because we quickly realised that by destroying traditional gender roles we can double our effective workforce overnight.The grain of divine design appears to be a whole bunch of bigots. Divine design also means that “shitting yourself to death” is the second most common way for our children to die. That toilets and Oral Rehydration Solution are also against “The Divine Grain” because humans traditionally just crapped outside. The divine grain just seems to be a whole lot of bigots.The irony of this argument is that the Christians redefined sex upon it’s adoption by the Roman empire (homosexuality wasn’t treated as evil prior to that) and that the traditional idea of a husband, wife and two children is a nuclear family and is actually a modern redefinition of a family. We actually regularly read about older family units in literature. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory demonstrates a traditional family unit. The one of a joint family where children continued to live in the same house as their parents with brothers and sisters often living in the same house. The Nuclear family is a redefinition of the word “Family” when the norm was the “Joint Family”.Our society didn’t collapse when our grandparent’s and parent’s generations stopped caring for their progenitor generation. In fact, it grew if anything. So this is just honest scaremongering and living under the assumption that family units haven’t changed at all historically.
3. Marriage is not simply the term we use to describe those relationships most precious to us. The word means something and has meant something throughout history. Marriage is more than a union of hearts and minds. It involves a union of bodies–and not bodies in any old way we please, as if giving your cousin a wet willy in the ear makes you married. Marriage, to quote one set of scholars, is a” comprehensive union of two sexually complementary persons who seal (consummate or complete) their relationship by the generative act—by the kind of activity that is by its nature fulfilled by the conception of a child. So marriage itself is oriented to and fulfilled by the bearing, rearing, and education of children.” This conjugal view of marriage states in complex language what would have been a truism until a couple generations ago. Marriage is what children (can) come from. Where that element is not present (at the level of sheer design and function, even if not always in fulfillment), marriage is not a reality. We should not concede that “gay marriage” is really marriage. What’s more, as Christians we understand that the great mystery of marriage can never be captured between a relationship of Christ and Christ or church and church.
I don’t think Kevin knows what a wet willy is.
Marriage is a social contract involving two individuals who agree to sign a binding contract of mutual partnership in order to gain a state mandated benefit. Kevin’s scholars rule out any person who is married with a genetic disorder who choses (quite correctly and bravely) to not have children, people who are sterile and people who simply do not want children. Congratulations! You cannot get married, what relationship you have is a sham and you are all monsters!
Also all those Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, Jains, Buddhists, Shinto, Taoists, Jews, Atheists and people of every other non-christian faith who happened to be married? Apparently your marriage is not real and you don’t deserve to get married either. Why? Because Kevin apparently gains special knowledge from his imaginary friend that allows him to behave in such an odious fashion.
And do you think that unto such as you;
A maggot-minded, starved, fanatic crew:
God gave the secret, and denied it me?–
Well, well, what matters it! Believe that, too.
The words here are apt. Kevin DeYoung’s maggot-mind lives under the notion that there is a great mystery that is called “Marriage” where the vital information was gifted to him through his personal relationship with a magic being.
4. Allowing for the legalization of gay marriage further normalizes what was until very recently, and still should be, considered deviant behavior. While it’s true that politics is downstream from culture, it’s also true that law is one of the tributaries contributing to culture. In our age of hyper-tolerance we try to avoid stigmas, but stigmas can be an expression of common grace. Who knows how many stupid sinful things I’ve been kept from doing because I knew my peers and my community would deem it shameful. Our cultural elites may never consider homosexuality shameful, but amendments that define marriage as one man and one woman serve a noble end by defining what is as what ought to be. We do not help each other in the fight for holiness when we allow for righteousness to look increasingly strange and sin to look increasingly normal.
Fucking people outside your race was also considered deviant behaviour. Just going to point out that people’s ideas in the past aren’t as enlightened as we are today. Some day our children will look back at us and laugh at us for all being homophobic and sexist pricks in the same way that we look at the early 1940s and 50s as a world where everyone was racist and sexist. In Indian legalese, outside normal sexual intercourse the rest are considered “Deviant Behaviour”. Oral Sex, BDSM, multiple partners. Things we consider rather tame and normal (for a given value of normal) are considered deviant behaviours still.
Really? If the only thing keeping you from fucking a dude is what other people will think about you then honestly? How dare you tell children about peer pressure? What? If other people suggested that you smoke would you do it? Fuck no… If honestly the only thing keeping you from rape and murder is “what people would think if they found out” then you aren’t a moral person. You are a person who fears getting caught.
The stigma of homosexuality is an excuse by right wing fundamentalists to impose their faith on other people and is used as an excuse to bully children often resulting in the child’s death. Why? Because they are being bullied for something that they cannot change in a world where the bullying doesn’t stop even if you become an adult and where sometimes it “doesn’t get better”.
It’s not like smoking a cigarette, it’s like writing with your left hand. I am not gay so I can only speak for what my friends have told me. Being gay is innate and biological. It is completely natural. It’s like being left handed. And yes Christians once used to beat left handed children to force them to be right handed. The practice died out in the west but I am testament to it’s existence in eastern culture. I am a forced right handed person because I grew up in a catholic school that still had the practice. Smack of the ruler every time I used my left hand. I however play football with my left foot as dominant and people have seen me switch hands in cricket or pool at will. This is PRECISELY the same superstition. The ability to have a child is not what defines you as a human being, nor does it ever define marriage. (Incidentally a little piece of Nerdiness here – Left hand in Latin is Sinister. The Right hand is Dexter – Hence dexterous and dexterity because it was believed that right handed people were dexterous while left handed people were not because they were CLUMSY with their right hands. Now the insanely nerdy bit is that Dexter is a Serial Killer and by definition is Sinister. He is also often right.)
5. We are naïve if we think a laissez-faire compromise would be enjoyed by all if only the conservative Christians would stop being so dogmatic. The next step after giving up the marriage fight is not a happy millennium of everyone everywhere doing marriage in his own way. The step after surrender is conquest. I’m not suggesting heterosexuals would no longer be able to get married. What I am suggesting is that the cultural pressure will not stop with allowing for some “marriages” to be homosexual. It will keep mounting until allaccept and finally celebrate that homosexuality is one of Diversity’s great gifts. The goal is not for different expressions of marriage, but for the elimination of definitions altogether. Capitulating on gay marriage may feel like giving up an inch in bad law to gain a mile in good will. But the reality will be far different. For as in all of the devil’s bargains, the good will doesn’t last nearly so long as the law.
How does he know? Does his imaginary friend tell him how the future will turn out or is it a survivalist fantasy where he lives in a smug commune of godfearing christians ™ protected by their god while western civilisation collapses because we simply allowed equal rights to recognise gay marriage.
No one is going to celebrate homosexuality as diversity’s great gift. Homosexuality is a goddamn sexual preference. Some gentlemen prefer blondes. I like Redheads. And some men like other men. That’s it. There is nothing diverse about this, it’s just a fact of life. No really, this is scaremongering of a world where christians will be forced to accept homosexuals and not be allowed to be dicks.
Actually that’s a pretty valid fear. If homophobia gathered the same impetus as racism then Kevin will be relegated to David Duke territory.
Kevin wants us to honestly believe that there is a creature out there that can will universes into existence and controls our lives like the bloody sims and gets angry if we don’t don a white flouncy dress/tuxedo and make nauseatingly romantic speeches? If that’s the case then God is probably a ten year old girl.
Or quite possibly very stereotypically gay.
Remember. All it is, is bread and circuses. If we let gay people marry then we would have to deal with the real issues that we face and no one really wants to do that!