Genie Scott, National Center for Science Education
Atheists Talk #0068, Sunday, May 3, 2009
Lynn Fellman will be quizzing anthropologists Genie Scott of the National Center for Science Education and Greg Laden of the University of Minnesota on the subject of creationist attempts to weaken science education in K-12 education. Dr. Scott testified before the Texas State Board of Education as the board was considering how to rewrite the science standards. Texas is critical because of the number of pupils. Textbook publishers write their books to fit with the Texas standards, and if evolution is weakened at the whim of Texas creationists, it affects education in the rest of the states. Dr. Laden has been watching development of the Math and Science Standards for Minnesota and will provide some updates.
Greg and Genie will also be discussing the various approaches to religion in promoting and protecting science education. The NCSE is careful to assure religious leaders that science, properly done, is not necessarily dangerous to their faith (unless strict creationism is a cornerstone of their faith.) Many atheist scientists think that this is a dangerous approach because it dilutes science’s naturalistic methodology. They will discuss what the best approach may be, whether it is “New Atheism” or “Friendly Atheism.
“Atheists Talk” is produced by The Minnesota Atheists. Mike Haubrich, Director. Stephanie Zvan, Host.
- NSCE: Understanding and Responding to Creationist Movements
- Consequences of the Flawed Standards in Texas?
- Minnesota Department of Education (New Science Standards Posted)
- Laurie Lebo: Evolution Challenged in Textbook Case: As Goes Texas, So Goes the Nation
- Bruce Chapman: Darwinists Trick Themselves in Texas
- Mike Haubrich: Academic Freedom Strengths and Weaknesses
- Ken Miller: Seals, Evolution and the Real “Missing Link”
- Jerry Coyne: Truckling to the Faithful: A Spoonful of Jesus Helps the Evolution Go Down
- Richard Hoppe: Generals Who Don’t Know the Nature of War
- PZ Myers: Foot Soldiers Who Lack Vision
- Russell Blackford: Science, Religion, Weasel Words and the Meaning of Life
- Biographical Sketch in Wikipedia
- NCSE YouTube Channel, Including Dr. Scott’s Testimony Before Texas SBOE
- University of New Mexico Honors Dr. Eugenie Scott With Honorary Doctorate
- Greg Laden’s Blog at ScienceBlogs
- Minnesota Citizens for Science Education
- Major Vote in Texas Will Cripple Science Education for Years to Come
- Greg Laden Interviews Massimo Pigliucci on Atheists Talk
- Creationism and Evolution in the Classroom
- Greg Laden: Star Tribune Weather Watcher
- Greg Laden Articles at Quiche Moraine