This is the kind of weather:
- Where you walk outside, breathe in and immediately cough, because your lungs are smarter than you are.
- Where your eyelashes freeze together, or to your scarf if they’re that long.
- Where you instantly detect the smallest shift in wind direction.
- Where you get brain freeze–from the outside.
- Where your cheeks get chafed by the frost on the inside of your scarf.
- Where your nose doesn’t even run until you get back inside.
For me, this is the kind of weather where I want to get on a plane and go some place warmer for just a few days. Today, right about now, in fact (I hope), that’s what I’m doing.
I’m headed off to North Carolina for ScienceOnline09 and to experience the region’s idea of cold. I hear it will be below freezing at night. I’m positively bouncing with the excitement of meeting everyone, but I’m trying to do it very carefully.
I wouldn’t want to slip on the ice and have to stay home.